Stamped Concrete CostSee what the average stamped concrete prices are around the country
The cost of stamped concrete varies across the country and from contractor to contractor. In general, it is more affordable than installing pavers or natural stone because less labor is required. As of summer 2012, prices for stamped concrete are falling between $5 and $10 per square foot.
If you’d like to stay on the lower end of this range, stick with one stamp pattern and one color. The more basic your stamped concrete design is, the easier it will be to install, which equals savings for you. If you’re looking for show-stopping results than you should expect to be at $10 per sq./ft. or higher. These types of projects usually involve multiple patterns and colors, as well as custom effects or hand-coloring.
Stamped Concrete Cost by Region:
$7 sq/ft - Logan, UT
$8.75 sq/ft - San Marcos, CA
$8-10 sq/ft - Carlsbad, CA
- Size of pour—the more stamping required, the more expensive it will be
- Complexity of pattern—just one stamp vs. multiple
- Color options—multiple colors will cost more
- Hand-detailing—cutting precise patterns and applying colors by hand can be expensive
- Demolition—if you have existing paving that needs removing this will cost additional
- Fancy formwork—a general rule is that straight edges are more affordable than curves
- Skill of contractor—by wary of those just breaking into the business who offer unbelievable prices (often too good to be true)
When starting a stamped concrete project set a budget goal early in the process. Then have a few different contractors provide you with bids on the work. This way you can compare their prices with your desired budget and the quality of the product you will be purchasing. By doing your homework, you will be able to make an educated decision and feel confident that your new stamped concrete is a sound investment.
- Stamp borders and/or decorative bands, while leaving the main field of concrete un-textured
- Use a texture mat and a sawcut pattern rather than a detailed stamp
- In some instances you may be able to save money by having stamped concrete installed in the off season (fall and winter as opposed to spring and summer)
Stamped concrete is a great option if you like the look of stone, brick or pavers, but don’t like the thought of spending $15+ dollars a square foot for a new patio. Stamped concrete mimics natural paving materials and creates a high-end custom look without breaking the bank. It is a great alternative for homeowners looking for a mid-range paving option. It is also very versatile and can be used in conjunction with other materials.