The Residential Landscaping ProcessAn overview of the steps to take when designing and building your landscape
The design phase of the residential landscaping process will result in a detailed plan for your yard. Huettl Landscape Architecture in Walnut Creek, CA.
The construction phase may include the excavation of a swimming pool. The Green Scene in Northridge, CA
A perspective plan shows a drawing or computer-generated image that shows the colors, texture, lighting, shading, and depth that will be present in a landscape.The Green Scene in Northridge, CA The Green Scene in Northridge, CA
Time / 01:41
Hear the plans for this incredible backyard, including the process for step-by-step installation.
A residential landscaping project doesn't have to be overwhelming. Whether you're revamping an existing yard, or landscaping for new construction, this overview will help you know what to expect. The process of landscaping your yard can be broken down into two phases: design and construction.
The designing phase consists of research, idea gathering, and planning. During this phase you, the homeowner, will work closely with a landscape designer or architect that specializes in residential design. Together you will address design considerations such as the desired purpose for you yard, what features will be included and what landscaping style will be employed. The designing phase ends with you receiving a completed plan that proposes location and materials for hardscapes and outdoor living features, as well as plants.
The construction phase consists of the actual building process. Most designers will sub out the work to a contracting company that specializes in residential landscaping. Sometimes, one contractor will complete all of the construction, other times multiple companies will be involved. During this phase the designer and contractor will work closely together to bring to life the design plan created in the previous phase. At the end of construction, after testing and cleaning, your yard will have been transformed into a space that's ready for you to enjoy with friends and family.
Designing Your Landscape
- Get ideas for purpose, desired features and style (internet, books, magazines)
- Complete a design questionnaire
- Set a budget
- Meet with possible designers/contractors
- Choose a pro
- Planning meeting and site evaluation
- Plan review meeting
- Final plan approval
- Review construction estimates
- Demolition of unwanted surfaces and structures (if necessary)
- Grading (ensures proper drainage)
- Swimming Pool (excavation & construction)
- Run utility lines (water, gas, electric)
- Install irrigation system
- Build walls (retaining, perimeter, seating)
- Construct hardscapes (patio, deck, paths)
- Install outdoor living elements (outdoor kitchens, fire pits, etc.)
- Testing systems (irrigation, gas, electric)
- Final cleaning and walkthrough